('single quotes' indicate
translation of title)(back to top)
(for on-line texts follow the links or go to my Presentations
- Nov. 11, 2012: "Jüdische Dachau-Überlebende von der Befreiung bis zur Gründung Israels" [Jewish Survivors of Dachau from Liberation to the Founding of Israel], Center for International Youth Encounters, Dachau, Germany.
- July 19, 2012: "How Survivor Testimonies Shaped German Understandings of the Holocaust," San Diego Holocaust Living History Workshop.
- April 18, 2012: "Art and Politics: The Case of Felix Nussbaum and Lessons from Nazi Germany," Adele Nachmann Memorial Lecture, Santa Barbara Museum of Art.
- Nov. 18, 2011: "Exhibitions of Nazi Crimes in the 1940s, 50s and 60s," professional workshop "From Mass Murder to Exhibition: Museum Representations in Transatlantic Comparison," German Historical Institute, Washington, D.C..
- Feb. 4, 2011: "Die Organisationen der Überlebenden von Dachau" [The Organizations of Dachau Survivors], Second International Bergen-Belsen Conference, Hannover, Germany.
- January 19, 2011: "The Global Landscape of Holocaust Memorialization," UCSB Interdisciplinary Humanities Center's Geographies of Place series.
- November 17, 2010: "From Avoidance to Affirmation: The Evolution and Functions of Holocaust Memorialization in Germany, 1945-Present," invited panelist and moderator, Haifa Center for German & European Studies, Haifa, Israel. (6 page pdf)
- April 13, 2010: "Lessons of the Holocaust in Germany: Past, Present, Future," Keynote address at the symposium "Teaching the Holocaust," UC Irvine. (8 page pdf with 48 ppt slides)
- July 19, 2009: "Von der Monumentalität zur Spurensicherung: Dachau seit 1945" [From Monumentality to the Preservation of Traces: Dachau since 1945], symposium Dachau/München--Ort und Erinnerung [Dachau-Munich: Place and Memory], Munich. (Vortragstext)
- 19 April 2007: "Holocaust Memorials, 1945-present," lecture
in the series Jews among the Nations, UCSB Jewish Studies Lecture
- 10 April 2006: "Martin Niemöller's Quotation 'First They
Came for the Communists…'," faculty lecture, Depauw
University, Greencastle, Indiana.
- 9 April 2006: "The Uses of Dachau, 1945-2005," Holocaust
Commemoration address, Depauw University, Greencastle, Indiana.
- 29 April 2005: "How Dachau has Changed: Ideas and Goals of Its
Presentation, 1945-2005" [title translated from German, lecture
given in German], at a German-French colloquium in Munich: "Memories and History: From the Experiential World of the
- 15 January 2005: "Memories of Genocide and the Development of
Collective Moral Identities," Genocides: Forms, Causes,
Consequences, conference at the Haus der Kulturen der
Welt, Berlin. (presentation
- 9 October 2004: "The Internet as a Venue for Scholarly Interaction
with the Public," roundtable at the German Studies
Association Conference, Washington, D.C.
- 26-29 July 2004: "Teaching the Holocaust: Causes and Consequences
in History," "Interviewing Holocaust Survivors: Techniques
of Oral History," and "Holocaust Denial," at a professional
development workshop,"Personal Remembrance and History," UCSB
- 6 November 2003: "The International, Historical and Educational
Context of the Exhibition 'Portraits of Survival'," UCSB
Interdisciplinary Humanities Center, Santa Barbara
- 17 July 2003: "Introduction," conference 'Practice follows
Truth: On the Relevance of the Philosophy of Herbert Marcuse,' Free
University, Berlin (website)
- 31 January 2003: "The Dos and Don'ts of Using Technology in the
History-Social Science Classroom," California History-Social
Science Project Technology follow-up seminar,
UCSB (web version)
- 4 November 2002: "Age Cohorts and the Lessons of Vergangenheitsbewältigung
for the Future of Holocaust Education in Germany," Lessons
and Legacies VII Conference, University of Minnesota,
- 31 July 2002: "Das Erbe von Dachau: Vom Gebrauch und Missbrauch
eines Konzentrationslagers, 1933-2001," [German translation of
my book title, Legacies of Dachau; lecture given in German], Pedagogical
Circle, Dachau Castle
- 30 July 2002: "The History of Youth Encounters in Dachau: Debates
and Goals" [title translated from German, lecture given in German],
International Center for Youth Encounters, Dachau,
- 3 May 2002: "Killing Time in the Los Angeles Museum of Tolerance,"
UCSB Public Humanities Initiative, Entertainment Value Conference, UCSB
- 21 April 2002: "Jews and Germans after the Holocaust,"
Temple Beth Israel, Pomona, CA
- 8 April 2002: "Age Cohorts and the Changing Interest in the Holocaust
during the 1960s," Conference After Eichmann: Collective
Memory and the Holocaust since 1961, Parkes Centre for
the Study of Jewish/non-Jewish Relations, Southampton, England, and
Imperial War Museum, London, England
- 23 February 2002: "Technology in the History-Social Science Classroom,"
California History-Social Science Project Technology
follow-up seminar (outline)
- 29 November 2001: "Memories of World War II: How the People of Germany
Deal with Their Past," UCSB Affiliates, Santa Barbara
- 7 November 2001: "Kristallnacht in History and Memory," UCSB
Hillel, Isla Vista, CA
- 23 February 2001: "The Shoah Visual History Foundation as a Historical
Resource," UCSB Graduate School of Education, Santa
- 20 July 2000:"Generational Cohorts and the Shaping of Popular Attitudes
towards the Holocaust," Remembering for the Future Conference,
Oxford, UK (text,
- 26 March 1999: "Adapting Dachau to the Needs of Visitors, 1933-2000,"
American Association of Geographers Conference,
Honolulu (text without
- 19 February 1998: "Experiencing the Holocaust in Los Angeles: The
Museum of Tolerance," UCSB Interdisciplinary Humanities Center,
Conference "Acts of Reconstruction: Museums, Theme Parks, and
City Centers," Santa Barbara
- 12 November 1997: "Will the 'real' Anne Frank Please Stand Up The
Uses of a Holocaust Icon," UCSB History Associates,
- 25 October 1997: "Anne Frank and the Lessons of the Holocaust," Santa
Barbara City College Phi Beta Kappa, Santa Barbara
- 25 September 1997: "The Berlin National Memorial to the Victims of
War and Tyranny: From Conflict to Consensus," German Studies
Association Conference, Washington, D.C. (text)
- 1 July 1997: 'Legends of Postwar History: On the Relationship between
the History of Nazism and Political Culture,' Friedrich Ebert
Foundation, Bonn, Germany
- 16 May 1997: "Dachau and the Memory of National Socialism," invited
lecture at conference "Geteilte Geschichte: A History Shared and Divided.
The Two Germanies 1945-1990," sponsored by the German Academic Exchange
- 21 February 1997: "Former Concentration Camps and the Politics of
Identity in West Germany, 1945-1995," Great Lakes Consortium for
European Studies Conference, Minneapolis
- 2 November 1996: "Gender as a Category of Analysis in Holocaust Studies,"
Lessons and Legacies IV Conference, Notre Dame University, Indiana.
- 23 May 1996: "1968 and the Holocaust: Germany, Israel, the United
States," conference sponsored by the German Historical Institute
and the Wissenschaftszentrum, Berlin.
- 6 January 1995: "Dachau and Buchenwald as Sites of 'Holocaust' Education
in Germany, 1945-Present," American Historical Association Conference,
- 23 October 1994: "Dachau: The Political Aesthetics of Holocaust Memorials,"
Lessons and Legacies III Conference, Dartmouth, New Hampshire.
- 6 July 1994: "Symbols and Silences of National Memory: Germany Commemorates
the Nazi Era," DAAD Summer Seminar "Contemporary Controversies in
German Politics and Culture", University of California, Berkeley.
- 31 January 1994: "Exhibiting the Holocaust, 1945-1993," UCLA Graduate
German History Colloquium, Los Angeles, California.
- 21 October 1993: "Anti-Nazi Resistance in Monuments and Memorials,"
slide presentation, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- 14 October 1993: "The Politics of Memory: Nazi Crimes and Identity
in West Germany, 1945-1990," Harvard University Center for European
Studies, Cambridge, Mass.
- 2 October 1993: "Remembering the White Rose in West Germany, 1943-1993,"
Conference "The White Rose and Resistance", Santa Barbara, Calif.
- November 1992: "Collective Memories of the Nazi Concentration Camps
in West Germany," conference "Histoire et m�moire des crimes et g�nocides
nazi," Fondation Auschwitz, Brussels.
- March 1992: "The Moral Discourse about National Socialism: The Reconstruction
of Memory in the Federal Republic," Council for European Studies
- January 1992: 'Exhibiting the History of the Holocaust in the Federal
Republic of Germany, 1945-1989,' conference sponsored by the Frankfurt/Main
City Office for Science and Art, Arnoldshain, Germany.
- September 1991: "Politics and Ethics in West Germany: Coming to Terms
with the National Socialist Past, 1945-1990," German Studies Association
Conference, Los Angeles.
- April 1991: 'Concentration Camps and Post-War History: The Example
of Dachau,' biannual conference of memorial sites (sponsored in 1991
by the Lower Saxony State Center for Political Education), Lohheide/Bergen-Belsen,
- September 1990: Slide Presentation, 'Commemorative Art in the Federal
Republic and the German Democratic Republic,' Evangelisches Zentrum,
Hamburg-Rissen, West Germany.
- July 1990: 'The History of the Former Dachau Concentration Camp 1945-1990,'
Provisional Center for International Youth Encounters, Dachau,
- March 1990: 'The Victims of National Socialism in Public Memory,'
City Historical Museum, Cologne, West Germany.
- January 1987: 'Considerations about the Memorialization of the Former
Gestapo Headquarters,' City Cultural Center, Offenbach am Main,
- July 1985: Expert Testimony, public hearing about the planned Bonn
National Memorial, Bonn, West Germany (sponsored by the German Social-Democratic
- February 1984: "Neuengamme 1945-1970," First Working Conference
on the History of the Concentration Camp Neuengamme and Its Subcamps,
Hamburg, West Germany.