4C/Marcuse, L15 overlay,
May 23, 2000
FASCISM: A NEW PARADIGM?
Music: two 1840s patriotic songs, sung 1928 (Dt.land über
Fascism: What was it and why did it develop?
- What: 20th C. version of authoritarian gov't
- absolutism Bonapartism/Bism."nation-statism"
- Development in Germany: Causes
- E: Dawes (1923) and Young (2/1929) plans
- I: WW1, Versailles, Rapallo (22), Locarno (25)
- E: dethroned Kaiser, army / econ. elites and
- I: use of mass media, spectacles
- O: desire for stability, status; willingness
- The Farmer (Hitler) and History (chance)
- Soviet Union: Stalin vs. Lenin, [It., Jap., Spain]
- Announcements (today 4pm Sudan; Thu 4pm slave
- Paper extension: NEXT week; only one draft @
- Fact sheet for final? Use metacollege.com
- Nazism in the 1930s, World War II
- 1933-1934: consolidating power
- Reichstag Fire, Concordat, Night of Long Knives
- 1935-1937: the golden years (Olympics)
- 1938-1941: pursuing war (Blitzkrieg)